Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What's for lunch?


My lunch today was:  1/2 cup white rice, salad (spinach, tomatoes, slivered almonds, feta cheese with walnut vinagrette dressing) and a slice of pan fried, lightly salted milkfish.  It was simple but "satisfyingly delicious" and packed with nutrients.

No Filipino meal is complete without rice.  I didn't have brown rice (which is much healthier) available at this time.

Spinach is "rich in vitamins and minerals and is also concentrated in health-promoting phytonutrients such as carotenoids and flavonoids to provide you with powerful antioxidant protection."  Read more on World's Healthiest Foods' website.

Tomatoes are rich in lycopene which has been found to have anti-cancer properties and is rich in potassium, vitamin B6, nicain (aids in lowering high cholesterol levels) and folate. 

MIlkfish or Chanos chanos (Forsskal) is locally known as "bangus" or "bangos" in the Philippines and is the predominant species being cultured in the Philippines.  More info HERE.  I love eating bangus especially when it is pan fried - ahhhh, it brings so many wonderful memories of being in the Philippines.  After 8 weeks of being in another country, I am getting homesick.

It is my desire to continue eating healthy and I hope I inspire you to do the same.

Cheers to good health! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by ☺♥☺